Thursday, February 13, 2020

With Paul at Corinth*

 
Ancient Corinth, at the time of Paul's ministry of the Gospel, was a large, rich port city. Sailors and merchants traveled to and from Corinth from every nation of the world. This meant that travelers who heard the Gospel at Corinth could carry it to their own nation upon their return. However, Corinth was also a city of corruption, immorality and heathen religion. The Temple of Aphrodite was located in Corinth, with its 1,000 temple prostitutes used in its worship of the goddess.
In many ways, the conditions of Corinth mirror our own times, especially in our great cities like New York. At Corinth, Paul taught important truths regarding men's acceptance of the Gospel that are very valuable to us today as we deal with our modern Corinths.
In the first chapter of Corinthians, Paul reveals that man's wisdom cannot accept the Gospel of Christ's crucifixion and resurrection:
"For the preaching of the cross to them that perish is foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God...For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom. But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumbling block, and unto the Greeks foolishness. But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God...hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to naught things that are: that no flesh should glory in his presence."  1 Cor. 1:18-29 (excerpt)
Paul goes on to say that the Gospel is not recognized by the wisdom or powers of this world (1 Cor. 2:6). The Gospel was conceived and exists in the hidden wisdom of God:
"But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:  Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him (v. 7-9).
If it is impossible for man to receive the Gospel by their eyes, ears, or understanding, how then can men receive and believe the Gospel? First of all, Paul told us in our beginning scriptures, that the Gospel is revealed to them that are called. Paul also continued to explain:
"But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God...Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's  wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual."  1 Cor. 2:1-13 (excerpt)
The Gospel of Salvation is received spiritually, by a work of the Holy Spirit, not by a work of the understand or wisdom of men.
Paul is revealing to us what the prophet Isaiah meant when he prophesied this same truth:
"But since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, besides thee, what he (God) hath prepared for him that waiteth for him."  Isa. 64:4
The prophets looked into this spiritual mystery of salvation, revealed to them by the Spirit of God, which would be achieved through the suffering, humiliation, and death of a Servant. It is by this same Spirit that this truth is revealed to those who will receive as truth what man calls foolishness.
Psalm 22, written by David centuries before the birth of Christ, revealed the physical characteristics of a crucifixion that completely matches the details of what was recorded in the Gospels regarding the death of Jesus:
  • "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
  • "All they that see me laugh to scorn...saying, "He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him."
  • "...all my bones are out of joint: my heart...is melted in the midst of my bowels...my tongue cleaveth to my jaws...the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet."
  • "They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture."
Also revealed by the Holy Spirit to the prophet Zechariah was this glimpse of the Gospel:
  • "And I will pour upon  the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplication: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn."  Zech. 12:10
  • "And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends."  Zech. 13:6
Our own nation, like Corinth of old, is filled with corruption and wickedness. The Church in the midst of it, is teaching man's wisdom, and not the Gospel. Sadly, one minister of a large church referred disparagingly in his pulpit to the Gospel as "the Gospel of gore", and turned away from teaching it. He preferred to teach instead, what men considered attractive and preferable to hear on a Sunday morning.
Jesus said, "I have come that they may have life, and that more abundantly." Life and abundance in Christ is found in the mystery wisdom hidden in God from the beginning, which can only be revealed in the spirit, by the Holy Spirit.
Choose this day whom you will serve- the wisdom of men, or the wisdom of God, which is effective unto salvation through His Son, Jesus Christ.
 
*The above is based upon the 2/9/20 message to the Church from Dr. Kenneth Stevenson. 

To Contact/Submit prayer requests/Support the ministry/Order the book, "NAZAH-White Linen and the Blood of Sprinkling", and to help us get out the message, to contribute to the Book of Remembrance for Sean Stevenson:

Dr. Kenneth Stevenson
P.O. Box 154221
Waco, TX  76705

https://twitter.com/everlastingcov8


http://endtimeschool.com/

To watch/hear Dr. Stevenson's complete message:

https://twitter.com/everlastingcov8

Prayer of Salvation for all who desire to receive Jesus as their Savior: Lord Jesus, I desire to know You, and to know Your salvation. I believe that You died for me, and that You were resurrected for me. Forgive me of my sins. Come into my heart, change me, fill me with Your righteousness. Inscribe my name in the Lamb's book of life. Baptize me in Your Holy Spirit, so that I can learn the truth of Your Word and ways, and be strengthened in my walk all the days of my life. You are the hope of my life, and You are my eternal life. I place my trust in You, Lord, for myself, and my whole household. Use me to do the will of the heavenly Father, Who sent You, in Whose name You came. In Your name, and in thanks and praise I pray, Amen.
 
Dr. Stevenson's newest book is now available:
NAZAH: White Linen and the Blood of Sprinkling  

To order "NAZAH": https://twitter.com/everlastingcov8     http://endtimeschool.com/ 

To send testimonies for the Book of Remembrance to be published in the memory of Sean Stevenson:
 
You can send your testimonies to:
everlastingcovenant@ymail.com or PO Box 154221, Waco, TX  76705.
 

Sean Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment