Tuesday, December 13, 2022

A Covenant of Law or Grace?*

We are to be at a whole new level of understanding covenant. This includes the everlasting covenant, which is spoken of fifteen times in scripture. You can also find more information on this topic in my book "Law, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Godliness", available through Amazon. The following is the first mention of "covenant" in scripture, as God spoke to Noah after the flood: "I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth...And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no longer become a flood to destroy all flesh. And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth....This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth." (Gen. 9:13-17). Although the rainbow has been used in a profane manner in our times, it is really a sacred reminder of the mercy and grace that God sovereignly promises to all living on earth to assure them that He would not bring another destructive flood. In Gen. 6:8, we read that Noah found (attained) grace in the eyes of God. Grace is something attained between God and man. Jesus taught that the days of His return would be as the days of Noah (Lk. 17:26), so we need to understand now especially what it means to attain grace with God. The prophets wrote about the new covenant by which grace would be attained between God and man. Jeremiah wrote: "Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers...which my covenant they brake, although I was a husband unto them, saith the LORD. But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days...I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour..., saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest...for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more." (Jer. 31:31-34). Ezekiel also wrote about a new work of grace by God: "Then I will sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them." (Ezek. 36:25-27). We know that we are washed with the water of the Word of God. The LORD desires a relationship with all flesh, and has desired it since the beginning, or Bereshiet in Hebrew, whose individual pictographic letters mean "the son of God crushed, His hand on the cross". Revelation tells us that Jesus is the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world. This move of God in our hearts and spirits prophesied in Jeremiah and Ezekiel is repeated in the New Testament, in Hebrews 8:10-12, where the LORD God concludes His covenant promise: "For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." This work of grace is created by God within us. Jesus taught what is called The Sermon on the Mount, or The Beatitudes, to His disciples, not to the crowd at large (Mt. 5:1). Jesus didn't just choose disciples. He taught and trained them in discipleship by Word and Spirit. The blessings of the Kingdom of God that were taught by Jesus that day to His disciples, reflect the perfect unity of the Word, or the Law, and grace produced in the new heart and spirit by God. Those who are blessed by God according to this sermon are the poor in spirit, or the humble. The Kingdom of God belongs to them. Those whose soft hearts mourn are the ones who receive the comfort of God. The meek, strong in faith but self-sacrificing, who put themselves last in the earth, will inherit it. Those with a hunger and thirst for righteousness, which is created by a new heart and spirit, will have that hunger satisfied. Those whose hearts and spirits show mercy to others through grace and the love of God's Word in them, will receive mercy themselves. Those whose hearts have been purified in the manner promised by the prophets above, will see God. Those whose new hearts and spirits cause them to be peacemakers in the middle of strife, will be called the children of God. Those who have been persecuted and reviled because their hearts love righteousness, and love the Righteous One, Jesus, can rejoice in this life because they belong to the kingdom of heaven, and will receive their great reward in heaven (Mt. 5:3-12). These who have sought after the new heart and spirit promised by God, live these blessings, and are living according to Kingdom principles. The covenant of grace does not operate separate from the Torah, the Law. Jesus assured His listeners that He didn't come to destroy the Law, but to fulfill it. Heaven and earth will pass away, but the Word of God will not pass away until even the finest points of it are fulfilled (v. 17-18). In this context, Jesus told His disciples to be salt and light in the earth (v. 12-16). The Law of the Torah is not limited to the written letter, but it is joined with the Spirit of God, and the spirit and soul in man. This is grace. It is in this understanding that Jesus told us: "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." (v. 48). Paul wrote of a circumcision that was not outward, but inward, a circumcision of the heart, which makes one a Jew. It is Spirit, rather than letter, which receives praise from God, rather than men (Rom. 2:28-29). The letter of the written Word must become living Spirit within us. David, confronted by his terrible sin, sought this saving renewal that could only be attained by this work of God in him: "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. Then I will teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee...The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise." (Psalm 51, excerpt). This is the grace work within David of the LORD's Spirit through the Law, the Torah, that David had treasured in his heart. The Word, it is written, is quick and powerful, like a two-edged sword, cutting to our deepest parts and discerning the thoughts of our hearts. James the apostle wrote: "But whoso looketh into (stooping into) the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed." (James 1:25). *Based on Dr. Kenneth E. Stevenson's 12/11/2022 message to the church. To contact us, submit a prayer request, give a praise report, or to support this ministry: P.O. Box 154221, Waco, TX, 76705 OR Everlastingcovenant@ymail.com. You can also find us on Facebook, Twitter, theshroudofturin.org, and END TIME SCHOOL, also on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment