Tuesday, September 13, 2022

The Heart of the Matter*

This weekend we, as a nation, have been commemorating the 9/11 attacks, and the lives lost in them, including members lost from our own congregation. The world has also heard the news of the death of Queen Elizabeth, and ascension of a new king. Considering the lateness of the hour on the prophetic clock, and the events taking place throughout the world, it is time to take stock of ourselves, and examine our hearts. Scripture tells us that there is a "heart problem", which is noted from the beginning, from Genesis: "And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart (leb - inner man, heart, soul, mind, understanding, emotions, conscience) was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD." (Gen. 6:5-8). The heart of man was evil, the LORD said. As we see above, the Hebrew word for heart is leb, and the letters that form that word, which are lamed and beth, mean "the house within from which we are prodded or urged forward". An evil heart, which all men have as the result of the fall of Adam and Eve, prods us to think and do evil. However, one man, Noah, found grace (chen - acceptance, favor, grace) in the LORD's eyes. The two Hebrew letters used to write the word, chen, or grace, are cheth and nun, which mean together "a fence, inner room, protection of the Heir to the throne". There is the protection of Christ in the gift of grace. Jeremiah wrote of the condition of men's hearts also. He wrote that a man is blessed who trusts and hopes in the LORD. That man is like a tree planted by the waters, which prospers and bears fruit even in times of drought. However: "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings." (Jer. 17:7-10). Regarding Israel, His own people, the LORD prophesied that although a glorious high throne from the beginning is the place of their sanctuary: "...they that depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters." (v. 12-13). Jeremiah cried out to God as a result: "Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise...Be not a terror unto me: thou art my hope in the day of evil." (v. 14, 17). After the attacks of 9/11, neither America, nor the Church, took that moment to search their own hearts, and repent, and cry out as Jeremiah did. Instead, a verse from Isaiah was read by our political leadership. That verse from Isa. 9:10, "The bricks are fallen down, but we will build with hewn stones: the sycamores are cut down, but we will change them into cedars", is spoken by a proud, defiant and unrepentant Israel in facing the judgment of the LORD coming against them (see v. 9-12 for context). We as a nation also spoke those words in the same spirit of defiance. In Psalm 95, a call to praise unto the LORD, the writer exalts the LORD and also brings a warning: "For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods...For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness: When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work. Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways: Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest." The Book of Hebrews brought this same Psalm to the attention of the believers in Christ, adding: "Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God....lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end....Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it...For the word of God is quick and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." (Heb. 3:7-18, and 4:1-2, excerpts). The heart is deceitful and wicked above all things, as Jeremiah wrote. Don't be fooled by it, because God is not fooled, but discerns the true state of our hearts, and we are required to examine and guard our own hearts. The Book of Proverbs tells us the care that is needed to keep our hearts: "...Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments and live. Get wisdom, get understanding...Let them (my words) not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart. For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh. Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee." (Prov. 4:4-7, 20-24, excerpt). We see here a connection between what is in the heart, and the words that are spoken out of the mouth. Jesus taught the same saying, "O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh." (Mt. 12:34). In saying this, Jesus was speaking to the most religiously observant people of His day, but what was in their hearts, and came out of their mouths made them "vipers". Jesus also warned that we will have to give an account for every idle, empty, vain word which we have spoken, and by our own words we will be either justified or condemned (v. 35-37). According to the verses in Proverbs which we read above, and the words of Jesus, the words coming from our hearts and out of our mouths should be the same Words as God speaks. This is called homologea, or "speak the same". God created by speaking, and our words also have power and effect, for good or evil. We can only speak the Word of God if we have kept it within our hearts. We enter into salvation in the same manner - by what we believe in our hearts, and what we confess with our mouths (Rom. 10:9-10). King David wrote Psalm 26, and in it, he showed us the basis for God's judgment: "Judge me, O LORD...Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart. For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes: and I have walked in thy truth...redeem me , and be merciful unto me..." (v. 1-3,11). In another Psalm of David's, Psalm 51, he pours out his heart before the LORD, because he has committied terrible sins: adultery and murder. David had a deep relationship with God, and God loved David, calling him, "a man after My own heart". However, David's heart, like the hearts of all men, was deceitful and wicked above all things. Now David must bring his heart before God, his only Hope: "Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight...Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me and I shall be whiter than snow...Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit...Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God...The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise...". As David knew, there is only one solution when we realize the sin hiding in the depths of our hearts. We must bring them to God. When we confess our sins to Him, God is faithful to forgive them. At this time of remembrance of the 9/11 tragedy, and other events in the world, and the approaching fall Feasts of the LORD, when men examine their own hearts, with the hope and prayer that they will be inscribed in the (LAMB's) Book of Life, it is necessary for the Church of believers to come before the LORD in repentance: "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." (2 Chron. 7:14). *Based on Dr. Kenneth E. Stevenson's 9/11/2022 message to the church. To contact us, submit a prayer request, give a praise report, or to support this ministry: P.O. Box 154221, Waco, TX, 76705 OR Everlastingcovenant@ymail.com. You can also find us on Facebook, Twitter, theshroudofturin.org, and endtimeschool, also on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment