Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Hear and Obey!

 
 
"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD God, that I will send a famine in the land not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD: And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it."       Amos 8:11-12
 
The Hebrew word used above as "hearing" is the word shamah. It means not only to hear, or listen, but also to obey. The meaning also includes to understand, to discern. The Hebrew for "word(s)" above is dabar, which also includes "command, decree, counsel".
Today, the world neither seeks the commands and counsel of the LORD, nor do they hear it with understanding and obedience. Even the Church fails to teach the understanding of the word, nor does it encourage obedience to it. The prophet warned that there will come a time when, though we desperately seek the word of the LORD, we will no longer be able to find it.
Not only does the LORD counsel us to both hear and obey His word, but He encourages us to find the understanding:
"Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her and she shall keep thee. Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting, get understanding...How much better it is to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!"    Prov. 4:5-7, Prov. 16:16
Seeking this wisdom and understanding that is more precious than gold and silver leads us right back to His word:
"Through thy precepts (commandments, statutes) I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."  
                                                                                                Ps. 119:104-105
The purpose of hearing and obeying God's word does not involve religion nor legalism. It is for the purpose of obtaining the wisdom and understanding that leads to having a clear and secure path through life. We look everywhere in the world to try to achieve the knowledge of this security, but we should seek the word of the LORD and His counsel first, because this is where it is to be found without fail.
This type of wisdom and understanding cannot be found in man. Men's hearts do not create it. Scripture tells us that men's hearts are deceitful above all things, and desperately (incurably, woefully) wicked (Rom. 1, Jer. 17:9-10). It is so deceitful, that we can't even know the true nature of our hearts. Only God can see it. On its own, the heart cannot come to life saving, and life prospering wisdom and understanding.
As David desperately sought the LORD's deliverance from his blood guilt (Ps. 51), he threw himself upon the promises of God's word, the promise of new mercy. He asked God to create in him a new heart, because he had seen for himself the results of the incurable wickedness of his own heart. He knew that his only hope was to come to God with a broken and contrite heart, because God desires truth in the most inward parts of us. David, king of Israel, whose line would bring forth the Messiah, a man after God's own heart, and the apple of God's eye, knew that wisdom, understanding, deliverance and renewal of life, could not be found in his own deceitful heart.
Psalm 119 is the declaration of one who understood the importance of hearing and obeying the word of the LORD:
"I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach my thy statutes. With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches. I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways. I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word."  Ps. 119:8-16
We have been called to take the gospel to a lost and dying world. It is a saving gospel that preserves life. It is the Living Word of God, Jesus, who is the promised mercy of God, and who cleanses us and creates a new heart in us by His word, His blood, and the Spirit of God. Though the gospel seems foolishness to man, it is the very wisdom, and understanding of God, whose thoughts are not our thoughts, and whose ways are not our ways. However, He calls us to understanding through the hearing and obeying of His words.
 
To Contact/Submit Prayer Requests/To Support the Ministry/Order the Book, "NAZAH":
To watch Dr. Stevenson's complete message:
 
Prayer of Salvation for all who desire to receive Jesus as their Savior: Lord Jesus, I desire to know You, and to know Your salvation. I believe that You died for me, and that You were resurrected for me. Forgive me of my sins. Come into my heart, change me, fill me with Your righteousness. Inscribe my name in the Lamb's book of life. Baptize me in Your Holy Spirit, so that I can learn the truth of Your Word and ways, and be strengthened in my walk all the days of my life. You are the hope of my life, and You are my eternal life. I place my trust in You, Lord, for myself, and my whole household. Use me to do the will of the heavenly Father, Who sent You, in Whose name You came. In Your name, and in thanks and praise I pray, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment