Monday, November 12, 2018

The Kingdom Purpose of Unity

 
Our nation is deeply divided, and we see destructive effect of that disunity daily. We formed a union of diverse states in our beginning, because we knew that a union was the only hope for our strength, prosperity, and our future. Our nation's motto reflects this determination to be unified: EPLURIBUS UNUM, "Out of many, one".
We can easily see that the Church is divided also. We are divided over social issues, politics, doctrines, denominations. However, Christ taught this truth: "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand." (Mt. 12:25). The Lord called the Church to unity, not just for unity's sake, but for a specific purpose, which we shall see.
The apostle Paul taught the role that unity plays in our maturing in Christ:
"And he (Christ) gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect (completeness, maturity) man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ."   Eph. 4:11-13
Our knowledge of God, our perfecting, and our growth into the fullness of Christ must come out of a unity of faith. Each individual member of the Body of Christ supplies something that is needed for completion, and unity brings all of the individual members together (v. 16). The Body achieves this by speaking the truth in love. Jesus spoke of this truth also, and defined the truth this way: "Thy word is truth." (Jn 17:17). Speaking, teaching and preaching the truth, which is the Word of God, unifies us in that truth.
Too often, the Church unites itself with the world, instead of with the Word. In Genesis, the world unified itself in wickedness and rebellion against God. In seeing this unity in purpose, God said, "Behold, the people is one...and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do." (Gen. 11:6). God had to confuse their language, and physically scatter them in order to break apart their destructive unity in rebellion. The unity of the world created a powerful rebellion against God, but the unity of the Church in Christ accomplishes the exact opposite even more powerfully. Jesus brought this revelation in His final prayer to His Father for His disciples before His crucifixion:
"They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me."   Jn. 17:16-23 (excerpt)
In Jesus' prayer above, we see again, the perfecting that results from the Church's unity in Him and the Father. This unity is so important that Christ gave us the glory that He had received from His Father in order to achieve it. Christ in us is the hope of glory (Col. 1:27)- not only our own hope, but the world's hope in glory also. The importance of our unity, besides our own perfecting in himis that the result of that unity or oneness in Christ, attests to the world the truth of God, and the purpose of His kingdom. Jesus knew that the unity of the Father, Son, and the believers impacts the world, and its salvation.
The purpose of the kingdom of God is not for us to be united with the world, but for the world to receive the saving knowledge of Christ though our unity with each other in Him. For this reason, Jesus has called the Church to be "one".

To Contact/Submit a Prayer Request/Support the Ministry/To Order the Book, "NAZAH":
https://twitter.com/everlastingcov8
http://endtimeschool.com/
To Watch Dr. Stevenson's Complete Message:
https://twitter.com/everlastingcov8

Prayer of Salvation for all who desire to receive Jesus as their Savior:Lord Jesus, I desire to know You, and to know Your salvation. I believe that You died for me, and that You were resurrected for me. Forgive me of my sins. Come into my heart, change me, fill me with Your righteousness. Inscribe my name in the Lamb's book of life. Baptize me in Your Holy Spirit, so that I can learn the truth of Your Word and ways, and be strengthened in my walk all the days of my life. You are the hope of my life, and You are my eternal life. I place my trust in You, Lord, for myself, and my whole household. Use me to do the will of the heavenly Father, Who sent You, in Whose name You came. In Your name, and in thanks and praise I pray, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment