Tuesday, September 13, 2016

My Name's Not Job! Or is it?



 
At this time, we are seeing hatred, and even persecution, directed towards Christians across the globe. America, as a perceived Christian nation, is along with Israel, one of the most hated nations. In America itself, Bible believing Christians are finding that they are hated for the truth for which they stand. Jesus told us that this would be so, and it is recorded in all four Gospels:
"...hated of all nations {hated of all men} for My name's sake," 
                                                                        Mt. 10, Mt. 24, Mk. 13, Lk. 21, Jn. 15
Jesus said there would be persecution (Mt. 10:23). This hatred and persecution would be because of His name, and because the world not only hated Him first, but also because they hate His Father, who sent Him. Jesus said that the world hates Him because He has removed the cloak with which they hide and cover their sin, so they now have no excuse. The world would hate His believers because those believers are not of the world, just as He is not of the world (Jn. 15:18-24). If they hate the Master, and call Him Beelzebub, how much more will they hate those of His household (Mt. 10:24-25).
Sometimes, because this place of hatred in the world becomes so uncomfortable, the church begins to compromise, and give the world back that cloak to cover and excuse sins, but Jesus came to remove the cloak.
Rather than make friends with the hatred, or compromise with it, Jesus instructs us to patiently endure it (Mt. 10:22, Mk. 13:13, Lk. 21:18-19). This very patience and endurance would save us. His use of the word "patience" means cheerful endurance. He prays the Father to equip us with the joy that He has (Jn. 17:13). It seems difficult to endure hatred and persecution with cheerfulness and joy, but Jesus has prayed the Father on our behalf.
 

As we consider patience in the face of adversity, we cannot help but be reminded of Job. It should not surprise us to find that Job's name means "hated, persecuted". Where did he receive the patience to endure? The Hebrew letters of his name, aleph, yod, beth, give us a hint. The meaning of these letters form a picture of dwelling in the tent/tabernacle of God's strength and powerful hand. As Job begins to falter in the presence and counsel of his "comforters", the LORD intervenes and brings Job back to that tent of His strength in no uncertain terms in chapters 38-41. Job's dwelling place, though he is in the world, is not of this world. It is in that tabernacle of God's strength and mighty power! This was the moment of Job's deliverance - when he was brought back to that tabernacle. Job said that previously he had known God by hearing of Him, but now Job knew God by seeing and experiencing for himself God's great power (Job 42:5). What is found in this tabernacle of God's strength and power that delivers us? Hope is found there.
David found this in Psalms 42 and 43:
"When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, and with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday. Why art thou cast down, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted in me? Hope thou in God:  for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance...for Thou art the God of my strength...why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?...let them bring me unto Thy holy hill, and to Thy tabernacles (tent). Then I will go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy...I praise Thee, O God my God...hope in God: for I shall yet praise Him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.
Consider God's strength and power, and stir up that hope and joy that can be found in His tent, even in the face of hatred and persecution. It is our deliverance. Look where this hope brings us:
"...we might have a strong consolation (comfort, encouragement, solace, refreshment, strengthening), who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which entereth into that within the vail (veil); Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made a high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec."     Heb. 6:18-20
Into this tent of Job's, and David's, and Jesus, into this place within the veil, where hope brings us, there is not only comfort and consolation, but blessing and rewards as well. Jesus said, "Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for My sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven..."      Mt. 5:10-12 


Even as Job, hated and persecuted, received a double portion (Job 42:10, 12) as he entered back into those tent of God's strength and powerful hand, and prayed for those who had not been a comfort to him (Mt. 5:44), so the prophets promise a double portion:
"For your shame you shall have double; and for confusion, they shall rejoice in their portion: therefore in their land they shall possess the double: everlasting joy shall be unto them."   Isa. 61:7   and
"Turn ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope: even today do I declare that I will render double unto thee."     Zech. 9:12
 

As we endure with patience by entering the tent of God's strength and powerful hand, following hope through the veil, Jesus promised:
"Because thou hast kept the word of My patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation which shall come upon all the world to try them that dwell upon the earth...Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple (tent) of My God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from My God: and I will write upon him My new name."   Rev. 3:10-12
 
Why art thou cast down, O my soul? Hope in God.






No comments:

Post a Comment